The Kansas state chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians seeks to encourage young physician leaders to develop interest and skills in advocating for emergency physicians, their patients, and the public. The chapter has developed an internship to provide an active learning experience in leadership and advocacy for young emergency physicians.
Internship eligibility and application
- Must be resident in good standing in allopathic or osteopathic EM residency
- Must be attending residency in KS or be KS resident with KS ACEP resident membership who plans to practice in KS upon graduation
- Must have letter of support by residency program director, with pledge to arrange residency responsibilities and departmental support to fulfill obligations of fellowship
- Previous engagement with ACEP state chapter will be considered
- Applicant must commit to fulfill obligations of internship if selected
- Application deadline: August 31st
- Applications to be reviewed, and intern selected by KS ACEP officers/board (excluding resident liaison) one month prior to fall meeting and selected resident notified
- L&A intern to be announced at fall meeting
- Attend all KS ACEP board meetings
- Attend KS advocacy day in Topeka (~January)
- Attend ACEP Leadership and Advocacy (~May)
- Attend ACEP Council meeting as nonvoting alternate counsellor
- L&A intern will produce three documents intended via email/social media/KS ACEP website to be distributed to KS ACEP members and KS emergency physicians emphasizing the work of ACEP and KS ACEP and discussing the importance of support/membership:
1) Review of issues and activity of KS ACEP at state advocacy day
2) Review of issues and activity of KS ACEP and ACEP following LAC
3) At conclusion of internship, annual recap of issues and advocacy done by KS ACEP during the past 1-2 years
- Exposure to workings of the KS ACEP board and the ACEP council
- KS ACEP will cover cost of airfare, conference, and 3 nights lodging for LAC up to maximum of $2000.
- KS ACEP will cover the cost of lodging and airfare for ACEP national council meeting up to $2000.